At numo, we create and incubate new "fintech" companies. We have the good fortune of starting from a clean slate and are able to use the latest and greatest backend frameworks and tools. We need a skilled, passionate, experienced, hands-on software developer to help us build the myriad of ideas we are contemplating. Along the way, you will work with an excellent team of product managers and designers on a variety of interesting projects.
Here's what you'll be working on:
- Primarily building back-end architecture and services in Scala and Python for a variety of purposes (integrating with 3rd party APIs, developing our own APIs for use by our mobile and web apps, utilizing AWS services, etc)
- Occasionally contributing to our mobile app (Flutter/Dart) and web applications
- Focus on creating software that is scalable, robust, testable, easy to maintain and easily deployed
- Lead / mentor other engineers on the team
- Help recruit a diverse set of excellent engineers to work alongside you
Skills, Experience and Characteristics
We are looking for:
- Real world experience building products. Ideally, at least a few years.
- Expertise in modern architectures (e.g., micro services, event-based, map-reduce, etc.)
- Expertise in Scala or Java required (as Java developers have the easiest time learning Scala). We also love ployglot programmers as well (Python, Flutter, Dart, C, Swift, etc).
- A fondness for strongly typed languages
- Expertise in both NoSQL and SQL databases and the wisdom to choose the right storage for the job
- Experience and understanding of the needs of front-end systems and how best to interface with them
- Ability to use and incorporate 3rd party APIs into your apps
- Experience with deploying and developing for cloud environments (AWS)
- Comfort with diving into the mobile/web side of things (in particular Flutter and Dart)
- Familiarity with modern open source thinking and tools (git, continuous builds, continuous deployment, containers, dev ops, Jenkins, Docker)
- Test-driven mindset (always asking yourself 'How are we going to test this?')
- Love of learning (you are excited at the chance to learn new technologies)
- Desire to build and be part of a fun, high-functioning team
- Documentation mindset
- A computer science degree is desired, but not required if you have real-world experience
- We'd love hands-on experience with big-data or machine learning tools like Hadoop or TensorFlow
What numo offers
- Competitive salary
- Cool office space at Bakery Square
- Opportunity to work on cool new technology
- Great benefits
Who we are
numo creates software for the financial services industry. We are a team of technologists, designers, business thinkers, and academics that create software and data products. The model is unique. We build innovative consumer and enterprise software in house by applying cutting edge approaches, technology, and data analysis techniques to financial service opportunities. Through academic and corporate partnerships, we source our project ideas by understanding immediate business challenges at PNC. We work directly with staff inside the bank to build products that will create immediate value for PNC we architect products so that they can be spun off into standalone companies.
Note: When applying, we like to see a thoughtful cover letter that addresses our requirements.